On April 1st ocdogfriendly.com hosted a Protect Seals Party and raised over $350 to support the Humane Society’s Protect Seals campaign to stop Canada’s cruel annual seal hunt. Our dollars directly support the Humane Society's legislative fund which is used to heavily campaign against this brutal, unecessary hunt. Seals, sea lions and sea otters are the dogs of the sea, and it is our goal to help raise awareness of the largest slaughter of marine mammals on earth.
How can you help?
• Boycott Canadian Seafood
• Contact the Canadian Prime Minister:
Prime Minister's Office
Right Honorable Stephen Harper
80 Wellington St.
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada K1A OA2
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org or Harper.S@parl.gc.ca
• Ask your US Senator to support the Levin Resolution condemning the hunt:
Click here to send a message to your senator
• Tell everyone you know!
for more ways to help!
Together we can make a difference in the lives of these amazing creatures
Speaking of amazing creatures, did you know?........
• The oldest known dog lived to be 29
• The Doberman breed was created in the 1860's by Louis Doberman, a German tax-collector who created the dog to protect him while he worked.
• Most people think that dogs sweat by salivating, but they actually sweat through the pads of their feet.
• The name Pug is believed to have derived from this dog's resemblance to the pug monkey.
• Whippets can reach a maximum speed of 35mph
• Contrary to popular belief, dogs are not color blind but can, in fact, see color. However, their color scheme is not as vivid as ours and can be likened to our vision at twilight.
• All dogs, regardless of breed, are direct descendants of wolves and technically of the same species.
• A dog's whiskers -- found on the muzzle, above the eyes and below the jaws -- are technically known as vibrissae. They are touch-sensitive hairs than actually sense minute changes in airflow.
• Dogs are capable of locating the source of a sound in 6/100ths of a second by using their swiveling ears like radar dishes.
• Dogs have a sense of smell that is one of the keenest in nature. Humans might smell a pot of stew cooking on the stove, but a dog can distinguish the smells of each individual ingredient, from the beef itself to the potatoes.
Quoted from The Pet Library at www.bestfriendspetcare.com
April Fools Photo
April Dog Friendly Events
Yappy Hour Wednesdays!
Noah’s Essentials & The Cliff Restaurant
577 S Coast Highway
Laguna Beach, CA 92651
Wednesdays from 4:00pm to 7:00pm (weather permitting)
Enjoy ½ price beer and appetizers at The Cliff while your pal samples gourmet dishes from Noah’s such as lamb stew and turkey meatloaf…a beautiful Laguna Beach sunset makes this a yappy hour not to be missed!
Saturday, April 7th
Muttropolis’ Greyhound Rescue
Gracie and friends are back again to promote their kind…the 40 MPH couch potato. Find out more at www.houndsavers.org.
Friday-Sunday, April 13th – 15th
Orange County Pet Expo
Although dogs are not permitted, this is a fun event featuring pet adoptions, pet products, animal entertainment, performances, competitions and much more!
Orange County Fairgrounds
88 Fair Drive
Costa Mesa, CA 92626
Sunday, April 15th
Muttropolis’ Stroller Strides With Your Pet
Join Muttropolis for a fun stroller walk…with your pooch! Strollers are not just for kids anymore! What to bring to this healthy, fun and free event: your pup, your pup’s stroller, water, comfortable clothes and shoes and a sense of humor! After the stroll, enjoy light refreshments and an opportunity drawing. Raffle tickets will be available for a $5 donation to benefit the Irvine Animal Care Center. 9:30 am
Saturday, April 28th
Pet Project Foundation's
14th Annual Wag-a-Thon
Benefiting the San Clemente-Dana Point Animal Shelter
Join the Pet Project Foundation for a fun-filled day benefiting the San Clemente - Dana Point Animal Shelter where there's something for the whole family (two-legged and four-legged)!
4K Walk around the harbor
"Best Pet Trick" & "Best Pet Costume" Contests
Celebrities & Shopping in the Bowser Bazaar
$25 in advance/$30 day of event admission fee includes t-shirt, goody bag, parking & refreshments
Click here for more Wag-a-Thon info!
Saturday April 28th
Gentle Dental at Muttropolis
Gentle Dental is great for both dogs and cats and is low-stress anesthesia-free and administered by dental hygienists with 25 years experience. Call 949.717.MUTT for an appointment today! Cost: $95
10:00 am – 6:00 pm
Quotes From The Dog Pile
Lots of people have a rug.
Very few have a Pug.
Quoted from Good Dog! Magazine:
Mix a Boxer with a German Shorthaired Pointer, you get a Boxershorts. A dog never seen in public.
Mix a Bulldog with a Shih Tzu and you get a Bullshitz.
Mix a Deerhound with a terrier, you get a Derriere. True to the end!
Mix a Labrador Retriever with a Curly Coated Retriever, you get a Lab Coat Retriever. The choice for research scientists.
Mix a Newfoundland with a Bassett Hound, you get the Newfound Asset Hound. A dog for financial advisors.
Mix a Pointer with an Irish Setter, you get a Pointsetter. A traditional Christmas Pet.
Thank you for helping us celebrate these wonderful creatures (seals included!) who warm our hearts and brighten our lives!
Paige & Marley
The OC Dogumentary